Tuesday 1 May 2012

KASAD1: Beach

KASAD May 1: Beach


Square 1
This yellow, blue and green square is perfect for beginners.

Materials
- 8 ply yarn in three colours. Small amounts only, scrap amount of colour three.
- 6mm knitting needles
- yarn needle to weave in ends, scissors to cut yarn.

Skills and difficulty
Beginner knitter
- cast on
- cast off
- knit stitch
- changing colours at the end of a row

Colours
In this example, C1 is yellow, C2 is pale blue and C3 is dark green.

Procedure
1. Cast on 32 stitches in C1
2. Knit every row (work in garter stitch) for 26 rows (13 ridges). End of C1.
3. Knit two rows (one ridge garter stitch) of C3. End of C3.
4. Knit every row for 26 rows in C2 (13 ridges). Cast off and leave a 50cm tail.
5. Weave in ends and butterfly the tail.

Return to all the KASAD posts

6 comments:

  1. very clear instructions, and can be adapted to other stitch design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by Enid :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathryn from Yorkshire UKMay 03, 2012 6:09 pm

    Dumb question from an inexperienced UK knitter - what's 8 ply? IS it like our double knit? Bless you for your inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cathryn, I think so. I get very confused with all the different terminology in different countries, but I think that it's the same. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  4. Julie from Exeter, UKMay 03, 2012 9:37 pm

    Love this idea - I shall be logging in frequently to see the designs. Although I like knitting "plain janes", I'd like to knit something a bit different occasionally.

    Cathryn, I've been substituting Double Knit for 8 ply. It seems to work OK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for confirming the 8ply thing Julie. I do enjoy doing plain garter stitch squares but changing the colours like for this one - I get too bored for Plain Janes! I must knit up some more to add some flowers too though. Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...