Thursday 3 May 2012

Stewed plums and KASAD3: Sandwich

I made some stewed plums for Chubs a few weeks ago. Although the plan did not work out as I had intended, it was successful none the less.

I bought one and a half kilos of plums as they were on special. I left the skin on and cut the flesh (and skin) off the seeds. I then put the flesh into a bowl with some water - too much water it turns out - and microwaved it.

When I blended the cooked plums with the stick mixer, it was so runny it was like thick juice.


I kept going and blended the plums until all the skin was cut up smooth, and then I poured it into ice cube trays for freezing.


I also poured some straight into Chubs-sized plastic containers for daycare lunches - I added Weet-bix to these containers (with no milk) to thicken the plum pseudo-juice up. I used the ice cube blocks to mix in with other frozen fruits which were thicker.

It didn't work out how I intended, but I was very thankful that the plums didn't go to waste. There's no point being frugal and buying fruit on sale if it doesn't get eaten. All the plum pseudo-juice has been eaten now, so I'm very glad that it could be salvaged.


Now, for KASAD3: Sandwich


Today's square is another square which is quite quick to knit up - it could be a nap time project if you're a fast knitter (or if your little one has long naps!) As with the Beach square, it only uses knit stitch and the pattern comes from changing colours so it's not a complicated square.

Square 3



Materials

- 8 ply yarn. Small amount only of C1 and C2, approximately 30g of each. Scrap amounts of C3.
- 6mm knitting needles
- yarn needle to weave in ends, scissors to cut yarn.

Skills and difficulty
Beginner knitter
- cast on
- cast off
- knit stitch
- changing colour at the end of row

Colours
In this example
- C1 is yellow
- C2 is pale blue
- C3 is dark green

Procedure
1. Cast on 32 stitches in C1
2. Knit every row (work in garter stitch) for 20 rows (10 ridges).
3. Change to C2. Knit every row (work in garter stitch) for 8 rows (4 ridges).
4. Change to C3. Knit 2 rows (1 ridge). End of C3
5. (Repeat step 3) Change to C2. Knit every row (work in garter stitch) for 8 rows (4 ridges). End of C2.
6. (Repeat step 2) Knit every row (work in garter stitch) for 20 rows (10 ridges).
7. Cast off and leave a 50cm tail.
8. Weave in beginning end and butterfly the tail.

Return to all the KASAD posts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...