Sunday 6 May 2012

Stitch holder and KASAD6: Mint coconut ice

If you're a crafter, I'm guessing that you have many UFO (unfinished objects) lying around. I needed the needles that I had this project on, and I wasn't going to get this blue vest finished in time. I needed these needles to make a lot of the squares for this month, so the pressure was on!

The vest was on circular needles. (I often knit in rows on circular needles - they are smaller and I prefer the way they sit on my hand. Also, I can't lose one since they're attached!)

The stitch holder looks like a really big safety pin.

A few stitches at a time, move the stitch from the needles onto the stitch holder. Keep going, moving the knitting around the needles as you go.

I find it easiest to pick the stitches up with the pin before I slide them off the needle.

When you have moved all the stitches onto the stitch holder, fasten the 'safety pin' bit up and you're all finished. Free needles, and another UFO to come back to :) Now, for today's square, knitted with these liberated needles...



KASAD6: Mint coconut ice

I think the colours in this square are just so yummy!


Materials
- 8 ply yarn in three colours - pink, white and green. Approximately 20 g each
- 6mm knitting needles
- yarn needle to weave in ends, scissors to cut yarn.

Skills and difficulty
Beginner knitter
- cast on
- cast off
- knit stitch
- changing colours at the end of a row

Colours
In this example, C1 is light green, C2 is white and C3 is hot pink.

Procedure
1. Cast on 32 stitches in C1 (green)
2. Knit every row (work in garter stitch) for 8 rows (4 ridges). End of C1.
3. Start C2 (white). Knit every row (work in garter stitch) for 8 rows (4 ridges). End of C2.
4. Start C3 (pink). Knit every row (work in garter stitch) for 8 rows (4 ridges). End of C3.
5. Repeat step 3 (white stripe)
6. Repeat step 4 (pink stripe)
7. Repeat step 3 (white stripe)
8. Repeat step 2 (green stripe) but don't end C1 yet
9. Cast off and leave a 50cm tail.
10. Weave in ends and butterfly the tail.

Return to all the KASAD posts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...